Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Is There a Sixth Sense? How Do You Access It?

Several years ago I attended a charity event in San Francisco.  It was a night to honor SF 49er Bill Ring, a football player.  As part of the charity's fund raising, several items were being auctioned off.  One of them was a football with all of the 49ers' signatures, including those of Joe Montana, Steve Young, Dwight Clark, Ronnie Lott and Jerry Rice.  The winner would be selected by drawing tickets from a fishbowl.

I looked at the football in a glass case and I knew I wanted it badly.  For some reason, I had this strange feeling that winning it was not only possible, but likely.  It was as if some power of attraction had been unleashed.  While looking at the football, I felt a thrill in my chest. When the drawing finally began, I had this tickly feeling in my head, like someone was tickling my brain with a feather.  I knew I was going to win but I don't know how or why I knew that.  I won it, and while I was going up to collect it, I won the next drawing too -- a pair of tickets to a 49er home game.  What happened?   How did I attract such luck?  How did I sense winning before the fact?

Is there a sixth sense?  I think there is, though we don't know how it works, when it works or why.

I have been unemployed for four months due to the terrible economy.  However, two nights ago I was making up my bed just before sleep and worrying about getting work.  Suddenly I had that tickly feeling in my head again and it told me that jobs would soon become available.  Instead of dismissing it as an idle or stray thought, I brought it into full focus; I kind of mentally grabbed it before it could disperse like smoke in the wind.  I thought to myself, okay, tomorrow I will test this revelation for accuracy and see if any potential jobs appear.

Over the next three days I was contacted by three different job providers who wanted resumes.  It was the first time I've had any employers call me in four months about jobs.  I therefore count the Sixth Sense to have been accurate.   If only this sense would appear more often; if only I could invoke it at will!  However, it is comforting to know that strange forces sometimes operate for our benefit.

Postscript:  There is a common thread that runs through my metaphysical experiences, whether they be the mystical experience, divining my own eternal existence or the premonitions I describe above.  All of these feelings seemed natural and oddly familiar, as if they were things I already knew but had forgotten.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I agree - many of my most interesting experiences are accompanied by a familiar feeling - like "I have always been here before," as Roky Erickson sang ... I had the same "tickle" feeling at a company picnic this year, before a drawing for a Lafuma lawn chair ... I just knew I was proably going to win, and when I did, I wasn't really surprised ... I just laughed aloud.

    I focus a lot on synchronicity, but the more I review the experiences I have had with it, the more possible it seems that they were made possible by my 'subconsciously' knowing things that I shouldn't know - future outcomes, hidden objects, etc ... I still think the interconnectedness of all things plays a huge role, but that this makes possible "psychic" knowledge. Just more good reasons to pay attention tot he voice of intuition, I guess!

    ReplyDelete