Saturday, May 16, 2009

Dead Uncle Fred

I have often wondered if the living can communicate with the dead, and vice versa.  

Carl Jung, the famous analytical psychologist, was very interested in life after death and other spiritual topics.  In his writings he told of a friend who had died and who seemed to contact Jung after death.  Jung said he had a strong inner vision of the man; it was not an apparition or ghost, but merely a strong mental impression.   I had a similar experience when my Uncle Fred passed away.  He was a simple everyday man who was friendly and spiritual.   There was nothing extraordinary about Fred but he seems to have a talent for conveying after-death messages.

When Uncle Fred died, I went to a memorial service at his church.  Just as I walked into the church, I suddenly had a strong inner vision of Fred.  It was so real that I gave it particular notice, and did not summarily dismiss it as a meaningless fantasy.  I saw Uncle Fred's face and it was smiling broadly and he said to me, "It's everything we could have hoped for!"  He was referring to life after death.  I accepted this communication as real.

After the church service, my mother and I went outside and were looking towards the church when suddenly I noticed a very strange cloud overhead.  It was expanding outwards in all directions and was filled with light.  My mother said, "Oh look, it seems to be a message from Fred that he's all right!"  I replied, "I was thinking the same thing."

Later, when discussing the incident with my mother, she stated that she had not seen the lighted cloud but was referring to a white dove that suddenly landed on the cross atop the church.  Apparently, we were both looking at different phenomena at the very same moment and drawing the very same conclusions:  Uncle Fred was giving us a sign that he was okay.

Intrigued, I wondered if it were possible for someone dead to arrange visual phenomena in such a way as to convey messages to the living.  I was thinking about this one morning on the way to work, and I said to Uncle Fred, "Okay, Uncle Fred.  If that was you communicating to us, give me another sign and I will believe you."

At that moment, a car on my right pulled ahead of me and I could clearly see its personalized license plate.  It read UNC FRED.  I could feel the hair standing up on the back of my neck.


No comments:

Post a Comment